Name: Clare Watson
Job: Personal stylist, Stylist
About Clare Watson:
Clare’s work has covered all areas from high end fashion magazines, mainstream commercials and celebrity shoots to personal shopping for individual clients. Some of her clients to date include; BBC, Channel 4, Guardian Newspaper, Glamour Magazine, Hello and Grazia. She has also worked with the likes of Model Naomi Campbell Hollywood actresses Renee Zelwegger, Mandy Moore and Amber Valetta as well Duran Duran, Jamelia and Will Young.
What I love about Clare is the practicality in her demonstrations… We are all HUUUGE lovers of high street fashion and she LOVES styling for real women without that celebrity price tag.
My notes from Clare Watson
Season Must Haves:
- As featured on my ‘Fashion Trend’ page, Clare highlights on the importance of the colour ‘Camel’ being a MUST HAVE for this autumn/winter. She suggested it being injected into our wardrobes via trousers, tops, coats and bags etc.
- Another season must have is ‘Tailored Shorts’. The good thing about tailored shorts is that it can easily be dressed up or down for daywear and eveningwear. Clare advised that they are to be paired up with a nice top (demonstrated a lace top) and opaque tights which gives the illusion of elongated legs.
- The next two season must have is the maxi (floral maxi) and the Faux fur Gilet (you can see an outfit selection of mine on the Fashion Trends page) which looks amazing when paired together. This outfit can easily be styled up with flat or heeled boots, a nice waist belt and statement jewelery.
- The waist belt was another season must have that Clare suggested.. she also gave a brilliant tip:
‘When choosing a waist belt, whether thin or wide. Choose one with either a round buckle or a rounded shape strap. This surprisingly makes a difference to make the figure look slimmer..’
*I HAVE TO TRY THIS!!*
- Leopard Print Is this seasons ‘Micro Trend’, in other words its perfect when solely injected into accessories.
And I agree because having an accent of a statement print makes much more of an impact to an outfit.
- Wedge shoes is another Season Must have *I AGREE*
I believe whatever style, colour or Texture.. it gives you so much length in your legs.. and from my tried and tested.. its comfortable on the feet. It’s also a good opportunity to show of some trendy ankle socks.
- The envelope bag is another season must have.. and what better way to wear it that to get one with this seasons texture trends… ‘Embellishment’.
How do I dress for my body shape?
I quite liked Clare’s idea of how to work out your own body shape.
Stand up straight and run your hands down your waist and hips.
*Learn something new everyday*
- Straight – The perfect Seasonal trend for this figure is the leather skirt especially with a ‘A-line’ cut. Also the tulip dress which we can now bring back out of the bottom of our draws * YAY* and the tailored short.
- Pear – A flared trouser would be perfect for this shape as well as an ‘A-Line’ Cut. A wide waistband is a Must have essential which can be either worn in Camel shade or a bold print (bang on trend). Also Tailored shorts can work for this body shape, as you luckily will have slim legs.
- Hour glass – This shape usually has a Big bust, so Clare advised to either wear it with a high or wide neck no matter what you wear for this season i.e. strapless A-Line dress or tunic.
- Apple – Clare advised to Layer the items of clothing using a lot of texture on the Front, the leather skirt will also work for this figure, and darker shades for the top half.
THE IMPORTANCE OF UNDERWEAR
Silk and Vintage Lace Balconette Bra from Topshop – £18.00
The basics to a good outfit is good underwear!
- Now put your finger underneath your bra strap… If you can fit more than one finger underneath it.. you’re wearing the WRONG size.
- If your bra is on the tightest hook… you’re wearing the WRONG size.
A bra has a life span of around 6 Months. A popper fitted bra should be on the last hook, after it gradually looses its elasticity it is to be moved in a hook.
Clare suggested that investing in a Balconette bra (pic above) is a must. It is one of the key shapes which offers sexy support as well as preventing that unattractive ‘barmaids bottom cleavage’.
Clare mentioned a good fitted bra is based on a good fitted bust area..
Size 8 – 30 inch bra
Size 10 – 32 inch bra
Size 12 – 34 inch bra
The importance of a perfect pair of jeans
ASOS William Rast Tony High Rise Zip Jeans – £54.00
Jeans play such an important part in a lot of our wardrobe… so it is important to invest in the perfect fitted pair! Clare suggested the perfect style jeans are ‘high rise’ jeans, they give great comfort and reduce the dreaded builders bum effect. She also suggested that Bootcut jeans are the best fit jeans to buy as they create a perfect balance in all body shapes.