I am a fan of #lovetheskinyourin which is one of Gok Wan’s famous quotes, BUT! there is nothing wrong with looking after ourselves and lets face it.. we all want to be healthier! well… YES LADIES.. THAT’S RIGHT!! Here is a recipe for a FULL ENGLISH BREAKFAST where we don’t need to be counting all of the calories, worrying about our waistlines.. or practicing our breathing techniques to suck in our guts due to our jeans getting to tight *gassp of relief*
- Serves Up to: 4 people
- Cooking Time: 20 mins
- Chef Skill level: Easy peasy, lemon squeezy!
- Recipe Cost: ‘cheap as chips’
look below for more…
What ingredients will I need?
Here are the basic Ingredients you will need for this dish.. why not use special supermarket products i.e. weightwatcher bacon to make this dish even healthier!
- olive oil, to brush and drizzle
- 4 Portobello mushrooms, cleaned
- 300g vine-ripened cherry tomatoes
- sea salt and black pepper
- 16 rashers of smoked back bacon
- 8 large eggs
- dash of white wine vinegar
- 8 slices of rye bread, toasted
How do i make it?
1. Pre-heat the grill to the highest setting. Half-fill a wide, shallow pan with water and bring to a simmer. Line a large (or two small) baking sheet(s) with foil, then brush over with a little olive oil.
2. Trim the mushrooms, removing their stalks, then lay, cap side down, on the baking sheet. Place the vine tomatoes alongside. Drizzle over a little olive oil and sprinkle with a pinch each of salt and pepper. Lay the bacon rashers in a single layer on the baking sheet (the second one if using two). Place under the grill for 5 minutes until the mushrooms are tender and the bacon is golden brown around the edges.
3. To poach the eggs, break each one into a cup or ramekin. Add a dash of vinegar to the pan of simmering water. Whisk the water in a circular motion to create a whirlpool effect. Gently slide the eggs into the centre of the whirlpool, one at a time, then reduce the heat to a low simmer. Poach for 1 1/2 minutes if the eggs were at room temperature, or 2 minutes if they were straight from the fridge. The whites will have set but the yolks should still be runny in the middle.
4. Divide the bacon, mushrooms, tomatoes and rye toasts between warm serving plates. Carefully lift out each poached egg with a slotted spoon, dab the bottom of the spoon with kitchen paper to absorb any excess water and slide onto a rye toast. Grind some pepper over the eggs and serve at once.
AND THAT’S IT!!.. THE PERFECT HEATHY FULL ENGLISH BREAKFAST!!
- Recipes taken from Gordon Ramsay’s Healthy Appetite, by Gordon Ramsay published by Quadrille (£20, hardback).
- The Big Breakfast Diet (maplewoodbootcamp.com)
- The Pleasure Diet: My go-to breakfast: a little sweet, a little tart, a little salty–and pure pleasure (self.com)
- The Benefits of Exercising Before Breakfast (findmeacure.com)
- Americans Say Their Diet Is Healthy, but Is It? (webmd.com)
- The Pleasure Diet: Pleasure Diet: Sometimes, skipping breakfast isn’t so bad (self.com)
- Will Skipping Breakfast Sabotage My Diet? (everydayhealth.com)
- Gordon Ramsay’s cookbook tops list of 2010’s worst (ctv.ca)
- Put down your knife and fork: Why eating a big breakfast DOESN’T help you to diet (dailymail.co.uk)
- Longest burp, anyone? (guardian.co.uk)